- Facilitator: Sarah Lowe
- Venue: Carter Brown, Mansfield, Pandemic providing
- Day 1 – 8th December
- Day 2 – 9th December
The ParentAssess training course is undertaken by Sarah Lowe, the creater and founder of ParentAssess.
ParentAssess is a framework developed for assessing parents who have learning disabilities and other additional needs within childcare proceedings. It addresses both the emotional and practical aspects of parenting and seeks to identify both the strengths and concerns. The traffic light system means the assessment outcomes are measurable and easy to read.
The framework can be used where children remain with their parents or where the children have been placed in foster care and supervised contact is in place.
ParentAssess uses a number of specific visual tools. Video feedback is an important element to help the parents develop their skills.
Sessions cover the following topics :-
- Introducing the ParentAssess concept – what makes it different
- Learning Disability – causes and issues
- Case Law – what this means for assessment
- Cognitive Assessments – how to read and incorporate findings into assessments
- Understanding the role of the Official Solicitor
- Recognising parenting patterns
- Understanding how attachment impacts on parenting
- Child observation techniques
- Methods of learning
- Parental involvement in the assessment process
- How to make the child central to the assessment
- Learning how to use each of the ParentAssess tools and software